Sunday, June 22, 2014

To the Aspiring Black Female Scientist

Brandeis Marshall's childhood desk aka "study depot"
This week, Kyla's article listing 73 Black Female Scientists has ignited a conversation about Black women in STEM and our (lack of) visibility within the science community. Well, I received a question from an almost 4th grader, who I'll call Cali. How sweet and awesome is that?!? She asked for advice on how to become a Black female scientist and I'm sure she's not alone in her inquiry. This is for all the Cali's...
 


Dear Cali:

I was very happy to receive your email. Thanks for asking your question. The 73 of us have had our own path to scientist-status. First and most importantly, you should have good grades. Then, you should attend and graduated from college. I also strongly suggest that you consider pursing an advanced degree in your chosen discipline. Education can only help you achieve your goals. Be smart, confident and have a positive personality. Beyond that, let me share a few pointers. 

Reading. I love reading. If you love reading, then you would love learning everything from the mathematics and science to language and arts subjects. My summer vacations were spent reading fun books, such as the Sweet Valley High series, in addition to the summer reading books. I read everywhere. I used my at-home desk as my study depot that housed some of my fun books and school supplies. I encourage you to make your own "study depot" and read some fun books. 

Extracurricular Activities. To excel in any field, you dedicate your time and energies to learning your craft. It takes focus and balance. I love music and took dance lessons during elementary and junior high school. I also enjoyed sports - volleyball, basketball and track & field. I still enjoy dancing and watching basketball. Extracurricular activities help you stay active and healthy. They also build your teamwork skills, which you will use science project teams. I hope you have at least one non-STEM activity that you find fun and enjoyable.  

Next Steps. Science is a big field including biology, chemistry, computing, engineering, mathematics, technology and physics. You can exposing yourself to these different types of science so you can find the ones you like and the ones you don't. There are 1-day events to week-long summer camps for all K-12 grade levels. Check your local colleges for these events and camps. These programs usually have a cost for participation, but could have scholarships or discounted cost options available. Here's few examples to get you started:

Dream big, be positive and you will do some great things. 

Yours in STEM,
Dr. Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment